March has a special place in my heart. It marks the start of one of the best friendships of my life. It all started on a St. Patrick’s day outing …
Anyway, around this time is when I begin to see some new faces disappearing from the gym. I make an effort to give lots of encouragement about staying on top of fitness goals. We are all familiar with falling off the wagon, whether it be healthier eating or making it to the gym. The important thing is to know that you can always come back – that’s what counts. Never stop trying to reach your goals and don’t let setbacks dictate how your future is going to be.
I’m experiencing some setbacks myself. My knee is giving me problems and I have a feeling it’s because I am doing a lot more than I should. Overuse injuries is the story of my life. For me, the hard part is knowing when to stop but the time has come for me to really be more proactive about taking care of myself. So, in addition to allowing my body to get proper rest, I am now working with a nutritionist to clean up my eating. I eat healthy food but I am not getting the right proportions so, might as well go to the professionals. A friend of mine had stunning results and it was all the motivation I needed!
What else … I bought myself a pretty little pink sandbag. Training with an unstable load of weight challenges your body in ways that straight dumbbells can’t replicate. Unfortunately I can’t use this yet for my full body workouts as I need to let my knees recover. Lunges and squats are just not in my best interest right now.
I borrowed an Equalizer from a friend to get some upper body and abs exercises going. Also to see if I actually use it because I’ve had my eye on a pink one. Isn’t it pretty?
I’ve also started using my gymboss timer for Tabata intervals. It’s great to NOT have to keep track of time in my head. Now I just listen for the beep and off I go! It took me a few tries to program it properly and it’s randomly resetting itself – maybe I need to switch out the battery. But I can see how useful it is going to be when I’m pounding out 20/10 x 8 burpees.
Alright, on to the playlist and ride profile:
01. Sardar – Party Life (Jump Smokers Extended Mix): RPE 3 Warm Up
02. Jason Nevins – Candyman (The Revenge) Ft. Greg Nic (Extended Mix): RPE 7 (High end) Moderate hill with 30 second surge intervals
03. Adele – Rumour Has it (Aleko’s Retrovirus Club Mix): RPE 7 (Low end) Run & tension up on surges
04. Kazaky – In The Middle (Remix): RPE 5 Flat recovery ride
05. M.I.A. – Bad Girls: RPE 8 Here we begin a heavy climb that gradually gets easier over the next three songs
06. Katy Perry – Wide Awake: RPE 7 Moderate climb, less tension than the song before
07. Tinchy Stryder – Bright Lights Ft. Pixie Lott: RPE 6 Less tension to finish out the climb
08. Mysto & Pizzi – Where Is Love ft. Jonny Rose (Love Is Hard To Find) (Disco Fries Remix): RPE 7 Rolling Hills
09. Chipmunk – Champion Feat. Chris Brown (Matt Nash & Dave Silcox Remix): RPE 9 surges on this flat ride to finish it out
10. B.o.B – So Good: Cool Down
11. Sneaker Pimps – 6 Underground: Stretch